Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Grapes!


This has been a great year for my grapevine as it is thriving in the very unusually hot weather we’ve had since April.  There are well over 30 large bunches that are ripening beautifully and they taste delicious (not that I have been sneaking a grape or two before the whole bunch is ripe or anything). We inherited the grapevine when we purchased the house and at the time it was loaded with grapes.  3 years later, this is the first time we’ve had a harvest since moving in. 

The beginning- just starting to grow

About 3 weeks later- no color yet

Such large bunches

Today 8/29/12- Almost Ready!

Can't wait to harvest them

It’s been a war against the birds around here.  I’ve found that the birds in a rural area such as ours are much smarter than city birds.  I’ve used metallic tape, hanging cd’s, and huge nets, yet some of those slick little winged pests are still getting in. Hope they are enjoying them as much as they enjoyed eating all my apples. My garden looks hopelessly ridiculous with all the garb hanging around but Mr. Practical and I are determined to get these grapes fully ripe and to the table.

My silly looking garden

The addition of the net has been great 

Being that we did not plant the vine, we really had no idea what kind of grapes they were so I did a little research online.  I’m 99% sure they are concord grapes. The green pulp pops out of the thick purple skin in a perfect ball, which is characteristic of concord grapes, and they taste just like grape juice.
They sure do look like concords



I’m feeling very impatient as fall approaches.  I’m just dying to pluck off those bunches and get to making jelly, juice, and whatever else I can think of. I suppose all good things come to those who wait. I’m even more anxious to blog about what I make with them!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, they are looking good. I'd like some grape jelly please!

    ReplyDelete