Friday, August 17, 2012

Fun funky and diy? Oh yeah!


I featured this on my former blog but I think it's so awesome it could use some repeating.  This is one of my favorite DIY's I've done so why not share again?
My original brass chandelier and chemical deglosser

A few months ago, when I was redoing my office, I saw some upcycled brass chandeliers that were various places (yard sales, thrift stores and such). They had been painted funky fun colors and were used in all sorts of spaces.  I fell in love with this idea right away and began my hunt for one.  After a few days of searching I decided I wasn’t going to find a used one for the mere fact that I was looking.  You never find things like that when you are actually looking. In fact I think it’s the rule.  Getting a little frustrated, I started looking at Ebay and Amazon and eventually found a link to an online lighting store.  They had a chandelier that was exactly what I was looking for, brand new, free shipping, for $21. How could I say no?! I placed my order, it arrived in 4 days, and I was ready to go!
Ready for spray primer

First, I used a chemical deglosser easily found at your local hardware store.  It roughs up the shine a little bit and really helps the paint adhere to the brass.  If you have an old chandelier I would recommend using acetone, another easy item to find, after using the deglosser.  It will take off any dust or dirt that may be hiding and help the paint to stick as well.

Next I used a spray primer and completely coated the surface. In moment of innovation I decided to hang the chandelier from a tree branch in my yard.  This made it much easier to paint. After the primer dried I applied the color (I chose this great aqua) and waited for it to dry.
Finished product

Altogether this project took just over 3 hours to complete and I love the result! I’m still deciding if I am going to add a little bling to it but that is for another day, another blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment