Sunday, August 19, 2012

Change it up!


About a month ago, I decided my kitchen décor was looking out of date.  I had grape vines over my cabinets and large bunches of rubber grapes that I have had for about 10 years now. When little pieces of the dusty, fake foliage started falling off I knew it was time for a change.

Here is a terrible old picture.  It is a little difficult to see but, above my cabinets, is my old décor.


Now it’s funny, in deciding to change the look of my outdated style I strangely went with vintage and reproduction pieces.  I think one of the greatest and hottest new trends is take something old, combine it with your new and modern spaces, and create a whole new look.

A good friend of mine, Alexis (girlrural.com) and I, hit the thrift stores looking for ideas and soon I had my heart set on colored glass.

In my search I found that not only were there a lot of great pieces in the thrift stores, but that colored reproduction glass is super hot right now! Who knew? Between Marshall’s, Home Goods, Target, and various thrift stores I found a ton of awesome glass.


One thing I really knew I wanted was a starburst clock.  When looking for one, I searched all the usual suspects and couldn’t seem to find something in any of the stores I frequent.  When all else fails it is time to hit the internet because of course, you can find anything! I needed to find a very specific size (the place in my kitchen were I can put a clock is only 15 inches wide) so it took me a while. These clocks can be a bit pricy, and I was on a tight budget of $150 for everything I wanted for the space. I did a ton of research and price comparison. Finally, I decided on this one from amazon.com. Perfect size, perfect color, perfect price at $30.  It is my favorite thing in my newly updated space!


After adding some of my hand stamped towels, an old rotary phone and a few other knickknacks, my new kitchen décor cost right around $125 and I could not be happier with the result.











There is still quite a bit to do in this kitchen.  We will be adding a tile backsplash and hopefully changing the flooring in the months to come. I would love to restain the cabinets in a darker color but it will have to wait a while. I’m sure there will be more blogs to come!

2 comments: