Monday, September 3, 2012

Step by step guacamole- Photo tutorial


Now that we know how to keep those delectable fruits and veggies fresh, it’s time to make something delicious with them!

I was with a friend at a restaurant a few weeks ago and we were enjoying some tableside guacamole. It occurred to me that this is really the only time I have it, and I like it.  Why not eat it more? If they can make it, than I’m sure I can make it, and if I can make it, than I’m sure I can make it better.

I looked at a lot of recipes in cookbooks and on the internet, and it is amazing that something so simple could have so many variations.  I took my favorite parts of each recipe I saw and created my own. Mr. Practical says it’s “spicy awesomeness” so if it gets the husband stamp of approval, you know it has to be pretty darn good.

The price Mr. Practical had to pay for the privilege of being fed, was taking pictures for this blog while I prepared it.  There is a picture of every step. If you know how to do some of these steps already, go ahead and pass them, but if you don’t I hope you find them helpful.


Here is what you need:

* 2 roma tomatoes
* 1/2 large white or brown onion
* 1 clove of garlic
* 1 tbsp of cilantro leaf
* 1-2 jalapenos
* 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
* 1/2 tsp cumin
* 3 large avocados
* Juice of 1 lime
* Salt to taste

Step 1: Cut your tomatoes into quarters.  Using a spoon or your fingers, scoop out the seeds and discard them.


Step 2: Finely dice your tomatoes and put them in a medium-mixing bowl.



Step 3: Finely dice your onion and add it to your mixing bowl.



Step 4: Using the heal of your hand and the blade of your knife, smash the garlic to remove the skin. (Be very careful not to hit the knife blade with your palm.)




Step 5: Mince the garlic and add it to your mixing bowl.



Step 6: Remove your cilantro leaves from the stems. (Tip: pick off more than you think you need.  When you chop them there is less than you think.)


Step 7: Finely chop your cilantro and add it to your mixing bowl.



Step 8: Put on food grade disposable gloves, cut the tops off your jalapenos, and slice them in half. (The gloves will prevent the juices from getting on your skin. If you have ever forgotten you cut jalapenos, touched your eye and screamed like a mad woman, you know exactly why I use gloves). Remove the seeds and the pulp from your jalapenos (if you leave the seeds in it will be very spicy).


Step 9: Finely chop your jalapenos and add them to your mixing bowl. 



Step 10: Sprinkle 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper into your mixing bowl.


Step 11: Sprinkle 1/2 tsp of cumin into your mixing bowl.


Step 12: Cut your avocados in half using a circular motion around the pit.


Slowly twist the to halves of the avocado to break them apart.



Hit the pit with your knife blade and twist. Pull up and the pit should easily pop out. This will            remove the pit without removing a ton of the “meat”. (Watch your hands folks.)




Step 13: Scoop the “meat” from your avocados and add it too your mixing bowl.



Step 14: Squeeze the lime juice over your avocados. (Tip: I use a small strainer because I am not a fan of seeds.)


Step 15: Add salt to taste.


Step 16: Using a potato masher or fork, combine all of your ingredients until they are thoroughly mushy and mixed.

Cover your guacamole and leave it 1 hour at room temperature to let the flavors marry.


Super yummy, packed with veggies, and just so darn good lookin’! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment