Thursday, August 30, 2012

Diy- Kids Necklaces


My soon to be 5 year old really wants a mermaid birthday party.  While I am not sure, due to finances, if I am going to be able to pull that off for her, I did hit Pinterest looking for some ideas.  One cute little trend out there is adorable jewelry for the birthday girl to wear one her special day.  I fell in love with some of the pieces I saw, but I am far from rich so they were very much out of my price range. That’s ok though...

No need to BUY when you can DIY!

What I needed:

*Stretch magic jewelry cord (available at Michael’s)
*Beads
*Pendant
*Small pliers
*Jump ring
*Super glue


First, cut a piece of jewelry cord to the length you want your necklace.


Next, add your pendant.  Some pendants (like the one I used) required a jump ring so the pendant will lay flat when you wear it. Using your pliers, slightly pry apart your jump ring.


Put the jump ring through your pendant.


Very gently apply pressure with your pliers, and close the gap in your jump ring.


Put your pendant on the cord.


Now, you can put your beads on the cord in whatever pattern you choose.  Here is where your creativity comes in! Have fun with it!


When you are finished beading your necklace, tie 3 knots on your cord, pulling them tight.


When the knots are pulled tightly, apply super glue to them and continue to hold the cord until the glue has completely dried. (Tip: be very sure there is no glue on your fingertips.  You don’t want to become part of the necklace.)


Once the glue has completely dried, cut the excess ends off. 


It is as easy as that! Great jewelry that the kids adore and you will love the cost! There are tons of great beads and pendants available out there and you can find them to match almost anything you can think of.  Happy crafting!


1 comment: