Thursday, August 8, 2013

Cupcake Creations- Zebra Stripes


You can’t take the stripes off a zebra but you can certainly put them on.

I have received quite a few cupcake orders this month and it all started with this one.  A very sweet lady, who knew very little about me or my work, not only took a big chance on me but also gave me creative license to pretty much do whatever I wanted.  The request was Zebra, purple, turquoise, and “whatever I could come up with.” I really enjoyed doing this order. The design is quite simple but really cute at the same time. These were particularly fun because I was able to use my love of painting in a cake decorating application.

I started by cutting out round pieces of white fondant for the bases of the cupcake toppers. I then mixed black gel paste food coloring with a small amount of water, just enough to make it the consistency of paint.  After allowing the rounds to harden just a bit I painted on the zebra stripes.


Next, I cut out 2 different sizes of flowers in 2 different colors, shaped them, stacked them, and added a small piece of white fondant to create the 3d blossom. Using pearl dust mixed with little bit of lemon extract I painted the shimmer on the edges of the petals.
Left-with pearl dust, Right-without pearl dust

After letting them sit overnight, I put the toppers on my fresh buttercream cupcakes with a few sprinkles. Seeing as I had 2 dozen cupcakes to make, I did another flower topper but switched up the color order, adding the zebra stripes to the flower rather than the round piece.





I was very happy with how they turned out and now the wonderful lady who took a chance on me has become a friend.

Many more cakes and cupcakes are to come.  August is going to be a busy month but I cannot think of a sweeter way to spend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment